Wednesday 15 April 2009

Please call me back.

I was reminded this morning how I used to get frustrated by people not coming back to me if I emailed or left a message. Well that's an understatement. I used to see it as a personal offence and affront and get angry if it repeatedly happened.

I had emailed a client last week to get his objectives for the coaching session we are having this afternoon. I hadn't heard back so rather than get frustrated left a calm message again just checking he was up for the session and prepared.

Over the years though I have managed to reframe lack of response it and see it from another point of view.

There have been times when I have forgotten to get back to people as I was very busy. Also I guess when I was a busy director at a large organisation I presumed the onus was on others to get back to me or chase me up.

The fact that others do this to me is therefore not a slight but a simple fact of life.

Yes it would be preferable if we all managed to get back to others in a timely manner, but most people don't forget to get back to others out of spite, it just reflects the nature of life now.

People can receive so many emails/ phone calls / texts and now blogs and twitters that they simply couldn't get back to all of them.

Also if I am asking someone for business it is up to me to follow them up. I can't expect them to chase me!

By accepting that people forget or don't see it as their priority allows me to lead a less stressed out life and frame it as eustress, or positive stress http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress .

This allows me to be proactive in pursuing those relationships and contacts I value.

I just received a text from my client saying he did email back, and he is looking forward to our session. Better check my junk emails!

No comments:

Post a Comment