Thursday 2 July 2009

Managing on autopilot

Having taken a paternity break recently I came back to running my business with a fresh set of eyes.

Often having a break can do that. Its like driving with the sat nav off. You have to pay attention to signs and often you also find yourself enjoying the journey.

When I drive with the sat nav on I find myself rushing to beat the time it says it should take me on the journey and looking more at the sat nav than the road. Is this wise?

Also the sat nav takes me on a route that I know isn't the best as I have more local knowledge of congestion and effective shortcuts.

It can be similar when managing.

Systems and procedures and appraisal guidelines are all there to help the manager in the right direction, but sometimes it becomes too easy to just follow the rules and systems, even when they don't really make sence.

Sometimes it is worth switching the auto pilot off.

You may find a better way of getting to your goal and even enjoy the journey more. Just don't be too stubborn to go back to the sat nav if you happen to get lost along the way!


Toby

http://www.hazelbranch.co.uk/

1 comment: